Proclamation 5911 -- To
Implement Changes to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the
the President of the
Section 1204(a) of the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988 (the Act)
(P.L. 100 - 418; 19 U.S.C. 3004(a)) enacts the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of
2. Pursuant to the terms of Section 1204(b)(1) of the Act, I have determined that certain modifications to the HTS are necessary or appropriate in order to implement the future outstanding staged rate reductions for products of countries entitled to most-favored-nation treatment, as set forth in Annex I to this Proclamation; the future outstanding staged rate reductions for products of Israel, as set forth in Annex II to this Proclamation; and the applicable provisions of statutes enacted and Executive actions taken after January 1, 1988, and before January 1, 1989, along with certain necessary technical rectifications, all of which are set forth in Annex IV to this Proclamation.
In Proclamations 5779 of March 23, 1988 (53 FR 9850), and 5805 of April 29,
1988 (53 FR 15785), I terminated preferential tariff treatment under the
Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) (19 U.S.C. 2461 et seq.) for articles
that are eligible for such treatment and that are imported from Bahrain,
Bermuda, Brunei Darussalam, Nauru, Hong Kong, the Republic of Korea, Panama,
Singapore, or Taiwan, and I modified the general headnotes
and other provisions of the TSUS to reflect such terminations. In Proclamation
4. Section 604 of the Trade Act, as amended by Section 1214(j)(4) of the Act (19 U.S.C. 2483, as amended), confers authority upon the President to embody in the HTS the substance of the relevant provisions of that Act, of other acts affecting import treatment, and of actions taken thereunder.
Therefore, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the
(1) For each of the HTS subheadings enumerated in Annex I, the ``General'' subcolumn of rate of duty column 1 shall be modified as provided in such Annex on the dates specified therein.
(2) For each of the HTS headings/subheadings enumerated in Annex II, the ``Special'' subcolumn of rate of duty column 1 shall be modified as provided in such Annex on the dates specified therein.
(3) Each occurrence of the symbol corresponding to the United States-Israel Free Trade Area program in the HTS is modified by striking out ``I'' and inserting ``IL'' in lieu thereof.
(4) The HTS is further modified as set forth in Annexes III and IV to this Proclamation.
(5) Any provisions of previous proclamations and Executive orders inconsistent with the provisions of this Proclamation are hereby superseded to the extent of such inconsistency.
The provisions of this Proclamation shall be effective with respect to goods
entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on and after
Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this 19th day of November, in the
year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-eight, and of the
[Filed with the Office
of the Federal Register, ,
Note: The annexes were printed in the ``Federal Register'' of November 22.